Winter Formal returns

Sureeta Das

The foyer decorated for the event.

A glass snowflake ornament is in the foreground of a blurred pine tree background.
Alexey Kljatov
A group of students pose at the event.
Julianna Hall
A group of students pose at the event.
Julianna Hall
A group of students pose at the event.
Sureeta Das

The winter formal was an absolute hit this year. Over 800 people attended and festivities lasted into the night. The student council sold tickets every day the week of the formal with people crowding the foyer, bouncing on the balls of their feet. Enthusiastic teenagers and an epic dance would absolutely lead to the success of this winter formal.

This semi-formal has a sentimental value to many. This is one of the first formals the school has ever experienced in over three years, and a successful one at that. After being isolated from the pandemic, the anticipation of reuniting with our friends brought success to this dance. The influx of students from other schools boosted the number at the dance, surpassing last year’s Dance Marathon by about 300 people. The only students in the building who have ever experienced a dance like this were the current seniors during their freshman homecoming, bringing back happy memories from the past. compared to homecoming, both were delightful experiences. A lot of people were disappointed with there not being a dance at our high school during homecoming, but this formal made up for the loss at the beginning of the year. Maggie Lindars, a ninth grader at our school said, “I loved that the winter formal was a dance that anyone could participate in as opposed to only a football game with side segments. Also, people got dressed up so that was fun to see.” This formal is not about the quantity or quality, rather the togetherness and memory of coming as one and experiencing joy with others.

The student council outdid themselves on the decorations. Walking past the gym after school, members were hard at work. Their work was evident through changing a meager gym to play sports; the aura was altered to a scenic stroll down a winter wonderland. Once entering the main foyer, ribbons in shades of blue hung from a tall pole. Tables with gorgeous snowflake centerpieces888 were set up for people who wanted to escape the din of the dance. Upon entering the gym, candles lit a pathway to the dance floor. A corner of the massive space was set aside, decorated with lights, white drapes, and fluffy stuffing, to give the ethereal feeling of floating on clouds. Here, friends had the opportunity to capture memories. Balloons were set up around the room and vibrant lights exacerbated the dancing atmosphere. A DJ was set up in the front of the room and the music kept people dancing for a very long time. $8000 was raised for the student council from this dance alone, helping them with more aspirations and ideas.

Snacks and drinks were also provided. Snacks came in the form of cookies and chips, and gluten-free students were also thought of. Lemonade and water were handed out, and people also used this as a place to hangout with friends and converse. Anusha Saxena, an eleventh grader said, “I loved stuffing myself with sugary sweets while talking to my friends.” Food was constantly restocked as people glided in the cafeteria and came back to refresh themselves.

Overall, the winter formal was exceptional in every possible way. Thank you to the student council for making this winter formal possible, and the student body cannot wait to see future programs such as Dance Marathon come to life in the school.