Welcoming a new Hornet into the nest

Christine Stock

New FM High School Assistant Principal, Ms. Stephanie Rice

Among the new faculty and staff being welcomed to the Fayetteville-Manlius High School community this fall is Assistant Principal and Student Activities Director Ms. Stephanie Rice. 

“I feel very fortunate to be joining the FM school community,” said Ms. Rice, an accredited teacher who is proud to be joining the Hornet ranks. She grew up in the Syracuse area and attended the Skaneateles Central School District before she began her academic and athletic career at Hofstra University. Full of “Hofstra Pride of the Lions,” Ms. Rice pursued a major in history and secondary education while competing as a DI collegiate lacrosse player for her school. 

After college Ms. Rice’s career brought her to North Carolina where she was an educator at a local school district. She has since relocated to the area where she taught social studies at Jamesville-Dewitt High School.

Colleague and fellow Assistant Principal Mr. McNamara is delighted to embrace Ms. Rice into the FM community and he praises her as a great asset to the high school. McNamara said he crossed paths with Rice years earlier as both coached interscholastic girls lacrosse, “Her leadership abilities were apparent to me back then.” He also added that, “If you happen to question her drive, I dare you to wake up at 4 AM and run almost ten miles with her…every morning!”

Ms. Rice is especially enthusiastic about her involvement in the SAO and the many events it organizes. She noted that FM is reputable for the plethora of extracurriculars offered; from clubs and activities to school wide events, she feels there are so many opportunities for students. Rice believes one thing that distinguishes FM is the excellence not only within the classroom environment but throughout extracurriculars as well.  She said, “I really appreciate how student engagement in clubs and activities is a school priority.”

Mr. McNamera agreed and explained that he is proud of this environment. “I let her know how special the students of FMHS truly are. They are intelligent and insightful in the classroom and friendly and respectful outside of the classroom.” Two of the many activities Ms. Rice is excited to collaborate on are the Link Crew orientation and Dance Marathon, integral parts of the FM Community.   

Ms. Rice is an exceptional resource to welcome to our Hornet community in a multitude of ways. This is especially true this school year compared to others as the district continues to face the burdening challenges associated with the enduring pandemic. Ms. Rice emphasizes her drive to face adversity and said, “I try very hard to embrace challenges and new experiences with an open mind and a willingness to learn and adapt.” 

We are so excited to welcome her into the community and she was just as eager to meet the new students and staff at the high school and build relationships. Be sure to stop into her office located in the House II/SAO office and get to know Ms. Rice!